Guitarist Al di Meola’s second record as a leader is generally an explosive affair, although it does have a fair amount of variety. With Jan Hammer or Barry Miles on keyboards, electric bassist Anthony Jackson, drummer Lenny White (Steve Gadd takes his place on the “Elegant Gypsy Suite”), and percussionist Mingo Lewis on most of the selections, di Meola shows off his speedy and rock-ish fusion style. He was still a member of Return to Forever at the time and was a stronger guitarist than composer, but di Meola did put a lot of thought into this music. The brief “Lady of Rome, Sister of Brazil” (an acoustic guitar solo) and “Mediterranean Sundance” (an acoustic duet with fellow guitarist Paco de LucÃa) hints at di Meola’s future directions. A near classic in the fusion vein. Scott Yanow, All Music Guide
– How the Gipsy Was Born – Live 1971 (HQ)
Beat-Club – Radio Bremen
– Inga Rumpf / vocals
– Rainer Baumann / guitars
– Jean-Jacques Kravetz / keyboards
– Karl-Heinz Schott / bass
– Carsten Bohn / drums
Planets is the ninth studio album by Eloy, released in 1981. It was the last album with the drummer and percussionist Jim McGillivray. It was the first Eloy album to be issued in the UK, through the Wolverhampton-based Heavy Metal Worldwide label, with alternative artwork by Rodney Matthews.
Reviews by Progarchives
All music composed by Eloy, all lyrics written by Sigi Hausen and Frank Bornemann.
01. Introduction – 1:57
02. On The Verge Of Darkening Lights – 5:35
03. Point Of No Return – 5:45
04. Mysterious Monolith – 7:40
05. Queen Of The Night – 5:22
06. At The Gates Of Dawn – 4:18
07. Sphinx – 6:50
08. Carried By Cosmic Winds – 4:33
– Frank Bornemann – lead vocals, guitars, producer
– Hannes Arkona – guitars, keyboards
– Hannes Folberth – keyboards
– Klaus-Peter Matziol – bass, backing vocals
– Jim McGillivray – drums, percussion
– Wolfgang Dyhr – strings arranger and conductor
– Eloy – producers
Fusion 101 has been showcasing amazing new jazz-rock music from both independent and signed artists for a while now. You can hear these new artists Thursdays and Sundays between 16:30 and 17:30 EST.
Contact MusicMan@Fusion 101 to submit your music for inclusion in our ‘New Artist’ programming.