This 1975 high-powered fusion differs surprisingly little from the music that Jean-Luc Ponty has mostly played throughout the 1980s and ’90s. The violinist’s quintet (which includes guitarist Darryl Stuermer, keyboardist Patrice Rushen, bassist Tom Fowler and drummer Norman Fearrington) displays impeccable musicianship and lots of energy. The group was often so tight that the violin, keyboards, guitar and (to a lesser extent) the electric bass had similar tones, sometimes making it difficult to tell who was soloing at a particular moment. Listeners open to the sound of electronics and funky grooves should be very impressed by the spirited music which combines the adventure of jazz with the sound of rock. ~ Scott Yanow, All Music Guide
– How the Gipsy Was Born – Live 1971 (HQ)
Beat-Club – Radio Bremen
– Inga Rumpf / vocals
– Rainer Baumann / guitars
– Jean-Jacques Kravetz / keyboards
– Karl-Heinz Schott / bass
– Carsten Bohn / drums
Planets is the ninth studio album by Eloy, released in 1981. It was the last album with the drummer and percussionist Jim McGillivray. It was the first Eloy album to be issued in the UK, through the Wolverhampton-based Heavy Metal Worldwide label, with alternative artwork by Rodney Matthews.
Reviews by Progarchives
All music composed by Eloy, all lyrics written by Sigi Hausen and Frank Bornemann.
01. Introduction – 1:57
02. On The Verge Of Darkening Lights – 5:35
03. Point Of No Return – 5:45
04. Mysterious Monolith – 7:40
05. Queen Of The Night – 5:22
06. At The Gates Of Dawn – 4:18
07. Sphinx – 6:50
08. Carried By Cosmic Winds – 4:33
– Frank Bornemann – lead vocals, guitars, producer
– Hannes Arkona – guitars, keyboards
– Hannes Folberth – keyboards
– Klaus-Peter Matziol – bass, backing vocals
– Jim McGillivray – drums, percussion
– Wolfgang Dyhr – strings arranger and conductor
– Eloy – producers
Fusion 101 has been showcasing amazing new jazz-rock music from both independent and signed artists for a while now. You can hear these new artists Thursdays and Sundays between 16:30 and 17:30 EST.
Contact MusicMan@Fusion 101 to submit your music for inclusion in our ‘New Artist’ programming.