Originally released in 1976, Return To Forever’s Romantic Warrior could be described as the high-water mark of jazz fusion’s commercial popularity, reaching a spot on the Billboard charts and garnering the group a fanatical following of fans attracted to the band’s technical prowess and bombast. Released on the heels of the breakup of the Mahavishnu Orchestra, Romantic Warrior still sounds like a standard-bearer for jazz fusion, full of flashy solos and complicated arrangements that seem like collages of different moods, meters, and tempos. The album is much closer to the progressive rock of Yes, Emerson Lake & Palmer, or King Crimson than anything from the jazz realm. Return to Forever’s rhythm team of bassist Stanley Clarke and drummer Lenny White, who gives the group a subtly funkier sound than most of their contemporaries. Still, it’s pianist Chick Corea, using a veritable arsenal of keyboards and effects, and guitarist Al DiMeola, only 21 at the time of this recording, who define Romantic Warrior as a fusion landmark. This reissued edition comes with improved sound and a brief reminiscence by Corea in the liner notes. –Ezra Gale
– How the Gipsy Was Born – Live 1971 (HQ)
Beat-Club – Radio Bremen
– Inga Rumpf / vocals
– Rainer Baumann / guitars
– Jean-Jacques Kravetz / keyboards
– Karl-Heinz Schott / bass
– Carsten Bohn / drums
Planets is the ninth studio album by Eloy, released in 1981. It was the last album with the drummer and percussionist Jim McGillivray. It was the first Eloy album to be issued in the UK, through the Wolverhampton-based Heavy Metal Worldwide label, with alternative artwork by Rodney Matthews.
Reviews by Progarchives
All music composed by Eloy, all lyrics written by Sigi Hausen and Frank Bornemann.
01. Introduction – 1:57
02. On The Verge Of Darkening Lights – 5:35
03. Point Of No Return – 5:45
04. Mysterious Monolith – 7:40
05. Queen Of The Night – 5:22
06. At The Gates Of Dawn – 4:18
07. Sphinx – 6:50
08. Carried By Cosmic Winds – 4:33
– Frank Bornemann – lead vocals, guitars, producer
– Hannes Arkona – guitars, keyboards
– Hannes Folberth – keyboards
– Klaus-Peter Matziol – bass, backing vocals
– Jim McGillivray – drums, percussion
– Wolfgang Dyhr – strings arranger and conductor
– Eloy – producers
Fusion 101 has been showcasing amazing new jazz-rock music from both independent and signed artists for a while now. You can hear these new artists Thursdays and Sundays between 16:30 and 17:30 EST.
Contact MusicMan@Fusion 101 to submit your music for inclusion in our ‘New Artist’ programming.